We all want our teeth to last a lifetime. This requires a lifetime of care. But brushing and flossing twice a day is really just the bare minimum of care. In order to maintain optimal oral health, be sure that you break these five bad habits as they may be putting the welfare of your teeth at risk.
Break these bad habits for a healthier smile:)
- Brushing Too Vigorously. Even with the right toothbrush, you can still damage your teeth and irritate your gums by brushing too forcefully. Think of giving your teeth a “massage” instead of a “scrub.”
- Smoking. No surprise here. There is absolutely nothing good to say about smoking. Not only does it stain your teeth, but it increases your risk for gum disease and oral cancer.
- Using Your Teeth as a Tool. Teeth are made for eating! Resist the urge to use your teeth to tear open a bag of pretzels or rip a tag off a piece of clothing. Definitely do not use your teeth to unscrew a bottle top. Misusing your teeth can lead to chips or fractures.
- Drinking Soda. Soda has lots of sugar, which increases the risk of tooth decay. It is also loaded with acids that cause enamel erosion.
- Not Using a Mouthguard. Playing sports without a properly fitted mouthguard puts you at risk for mouth trauma. A mouthguard can cushion a blow to the face and save you from broken teeth.
Be careful in keeping your teeth and gums healthy and your smile will gleam for a lifetime!