Is there an overbite that you’d like to address? Do you wish your teeth were a little straighter? Orthodontic procedures provide an improved alignment of teeth so that you can speak, bite and chew more comfortably and effectively. And, orthodontics isn’t just for kids. In fact, Harvard Medical School reports that one in five orthodontic patients is an adult. There are a range of options for people of all ages to improve oral health and improve the way you look!
Here are a few orthodontic treatments that are very effective:
- Braces: Stainless steel or ceramic brackets are bonded to teeth. Wires attached to the brackets provide a constant, gentle pressure to move teeth into position.
- Clear Aligners: A series of thin, clear removable aligners straightens your teeth in a very unobtrusive, almost invisible manner.
- Lingual Braces: A less common treatment that bonds brackets to the back of teeth. This option is more common in adults than children because the teeth need to be sufficiently long enough.
- Expanders: This treatment is used to gradually widen the roof of the mouth to make room for permanent teeth to emerge without crowding.
- Retainers: Once your chosen treatment creates a beautiful smile, retainers help to maintain it. Teeth can begin to shift back into misalignment if retainers are not worn consistently.
If you are looking to improve your smile, consult with your dental professional for orthodontic options that will fit your lifestyle. Remember that it is not only about appearances. Crooked and crowded teeth can make cleaning more difficult and can lead to issues. Orthodontic treatment can improve the way you look and lead to a healthier mouth!